How to Add Exceptions or Exclusions in Bitdefender 2017
Bitdefender being one of the top three antiviruses of 2017, has become very popular over a course of time. Many people have upgraded to the 2017 version from the earlier 2015 version already, and many are planning on doing so. The old users of Bitdefender anti malware programs might already know how to add exceptions on files or folders from the scanning on Bitdefender, but the new users could use some guidelines to the feature.
However, users of Bitdefender Antivirus Free can’t avail the exclusion feature, as it haven’t been added on this version. Only basic protection on autopilot mode is offered as a standard equipment of PC protection. To avail this feature, user needs to purchase at least a paid antivirus module from Bitdefender.
Bitdefender 2017 Exclusion Adding Procedure
Bitdefender 2017 Antivirus modules (except the free version) offer the users with the ability to exclude a specific file or folder from the scanning. This might be useful in many cases, as in to skip a folder that might contain user-made programs or prototypes which are still awaiting to be released in commercial form, or to be registered with the antivirus signature databases as a safe file. Also, many users would store cracks for different programs, or game cheat files in folders which are often detected as malicious programs by the antimalware programs.
Other cases may include confidential files or programs used by law enforcements, as they wouldn’t want these programs be known to the outside world – these could be detected as malicious programs by Bitdefender Antivirus 2017. Excluding such files and folders simply save user the hassle to skip virus warnings on these files and folders.
To enable the exception feature for on-demand and on-access virus scans, user needs to take following steps.
- Inside the Bitdefender main interface, there should be an icon with a down arrow. Click on that to get into the modules window. From the Modules window, open the Antivirus panel.
- If you are on a single Antivirus module, you don’t have to go through the step above.
- Inside the Antivirus module, there should be three prominent tabs – Shield, Exclusions and Quarantine. Click on Exclusions.
- Under the Exclusions for Files pane, there are three options – Excluded files and folders, Excluded extensions and Excluded processes. Click on Excluded files and folders link to get the window where you can add exclusions for files and folders.
- Exclusions will open up a new box, click on the Add button on topside. While selecting a file, make sure you have excluded the folder for both on-demand and on-access scans.
- To exclude a software, open Excluded processes and select the executable .exe file and ensure ‘Allowed’ is selected. Click on Add and later on close the window. This process excluded the selected program from being scanned by Bitdefender.
At this stage, you are done.
Don’t add a folder where you keep your raw downloaded files from the internet. This folder could contain malicious files and with an exception added, Bitdefender will skip scanning the folder which exploits your PC to security threats.